Wanted to take a minute to preview some of the upcoming summer movies because I think there are a few good looking ones. I am going to start with movies that are coming out in May. I think May is stacked with the best looking ones. I am not showing all of them, but only the ones that are either suppose to be a big deal or look at least pretty good.
Iron Man May 2
So this is the first big movie of the summer and like so many before it is based on a Marvel comic book superhero who may or may not be the inspiration behind Black Sabbath's Heavy Metal Classic "Iron man". So maybe it is just the vast amount of explosions, robots (or guys in robot armor), and hard rock that are abundant in the trailer, but I am actually looking forward to this one. Robert Downey Jr. plays Tony Stark (aka Iron Man) and it looks to me like he is really enjoying it. I don't know much about the comic, but that can only help when it comes to seeing their movie adaptations I think.
Son of Rambo May 2
I know, I know. Its a movie full of kids. Those are never very good. To date the only one to really pull it off was "The Goonies". Still I think this one could be a good little movie. It is probably not necessary to go check it out in the theater and it is probably irrelevant when a movie like this comes out. I like the addition of Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" in the trailer, but mostly I like the idea of kids doing these stunts to make a movie. It might not be as good as the cursing smart mouth Goonies, but I think it has some potential.
Speed Racer May 9
This is based on the old cartoon which I never saw. It is also made by the brothers that made "The Matrix", mind you not just the first Matrix, but the last 2 Matrix movies too. So it looks like they have captured the feel of the cartoon as everything looks like a cartoon. It almost looks like some futuristic world where everything is centered around racing cartoon cars with special abilities. I guess that sounds ok. Might even have some kung fu I think.
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian May 16
This is second installment of the movie versions of C.S. Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia" books. I just read this not too long ago. Either I was not paying too much attention (entirely possible since most of the Narnia books are rather boring in my opinion) or they have added a lot to this story. I think that is probably a good thing. I liked the first Narnia movie all right. It is really just a poor man's imitation of "Lord of the Rings" (without who's success these movies, and maybe books, would never have been made with such a production), but I still like 'em.
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull May 22
So like many others I was wary when I heard that they wanted to make another Indiana Jones movie (even if rumors of this first appeared ages ago). Not only was the last Indiana Jones movie a perfect finish, but we have all seen what happened when Mr. Lucas resurrected another of his beloved franchises...he made a lot of money, but he also disappointed a lot of fans. So I have been skeptical of this (not to mention that Shia Leboeuf is in it and I get a feeling that after one summer movie blockbuster, Transformers, I might all ready be a little sick of him). Nevertheless when I first saw this trailer and heard that familiar theme song start up I couldn't help but get excited. I know nothing about the story (though I have heard it might have something to do with some alien artifact), but it looks and sounds good (bonus for including a shot of "La Garganta del Diablo" part of the Iguazu waterfalls in Argentina). Harrison Ford still seems to have it.
So those are the major players coming out in May. In recap:
Definitely plan on seeing
Iron Man and Indiana Jones
Likely will see
Narnia
Don't really care, but could enjoy
Son of Rambo
Speed Racer
Also coming out, but not mentioned here
-What Happens in Vegas (some romantic-ish comedy with Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz, two actors that I would not notice were gone if they mysteriously no longer existed).
-The Fall (looks like some artsy, fantasy story thing that I have no idea what it is actually about, but it looks sort of pretty).
-War Inc. (has John Cusack and his sister in some sort of war movie where the war has sponsors and all sorts of different propaganda, could be pretty good).
-The Fist Foot Way (exaggerated Will Ferrell-esque comedy about Tae Kwan Do, looks really funny, but every trailer I have found for it has 3 or 4 F bombs in it so my guess is I won't be seeing this one).
Stay tuned for a preview of the movies coming out in June!
No comments:
Post a Comment