Thursday, April 8, 2010

Movie Review "Alice in Wonderland"

This movie is made by Tim Burton. That means you can plan on a few things:

-Johnny Depp will be in it, acting in a whimsical or creepy or weird way.
-Danny Elfman will make whimsical or creepy or weird music for it.
-There will be whimsical or creepy or weird costumes and scenery.
-It will be whimsical or creepy or weird.

Please don't misunderstand, I enjoy Tim Burton movies. Considering that it is based on the very whimsical or creepy or weird Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass I was really expecting this to take off with Burton at the helm. It was good. Pretty whimsical or creepy or weird, I guess. I suppose I was a little underwhelmed, but I'll tell you what really distracted me during the movie. The Mad Hatter, Depp's character. Man he looked odd. Something just wasn't sitting too well with me about him. Then I remembered what it was. For some reason they modeled his character after Madonna:



I don't know if it was intentional or not, but man the similarities are uncanny. The oddities don't stop there. See, he also looked an awful lot like Frodo:



Why on Earth they based the Mad Hatter's appearance on the strange amalgamation of Madonna and Frodo and white make up I'll never know, but if you are going to get anyone to play it, might as well be Depp. Wish they hadn't messed around and just got Tom Petty to do it:



He nailed that role in his "Don't Come Around Here No More" video. Probably the best Alice in Wonderland themed music video ever. I just watched it again. Talk about a whimsical or creepy or weird music video. Mostly just creepy or weird. No Tim Burton though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the madonna and frodo comparisons are dead on. good job on that.

SGarff said...

I can always count on you to link to the best music videos.

Ryser Family said...

Tom, you have a knack for reviews. You're dead on with John Swartzwelder's books. My favorite so far is "Double Wonderful."
Btw, can you come to Havasupai with us - June 11-17 or so?