Did you ever have a philosophy class in high school or college? Me neither, but like most people, I did see The Matrix. That was basic philosophy with guns, kung fu, and radical visual effects. Not only did it spawn several trends, but it even made discussing philosophy seem cool. Everyone would talk about the extremely basic philosophical idea presented in the movie as though it was thought provoking and worthwhile. Eventually, as is the case with most of philosophy, we realized that all this questioning got us nowhere and that the answers really didn't matter and so we stopped discussing it (plus some mediocre sequels made it seem less cool). If you miss those days then you should go see this movie. Its the same idea, but rather than questioning if this is all some horrible virtual enslavement by a bunch of evil robots, the question revolves around whether all this is really a pretty ordinary dream (don't worry, thats not the plot, just a theme). Like The Matrix, this basic philosophical idea has been given the Hollywood treatment with radical visual effects, but less guns and kung fu (but it does have zero gravity fighting and thats a lot like kung fu). Also like The Matrix this has and will generate many discussions about seemingly thought provoking and worthwhile topics, that ultimately are meaningless questions which accomplish little, but help you seem more intellectual. Still, like The Matrix, this is an enjoyable and entertaining movie that I liked. If only the discussions that follow it were as enjoyable and entertaining. In the movie the characters have items that help them distinguish reality from dreams. Shoot, I don't need any items to know what's real. So how do I know that all this isn't just something that I am dreaming? Because I am not Batman and I am not wailing on a guitar that has a cool "hot rod" flames paint job.Random updates, thoughts, ideas, and complaints (with pictures). Way better than Facebook stalking!
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Movie Review "Inception"
Did you ever have a philosophy class in high school or college? Me neither, but like most people, I did see The Matrix. That was basic philosophy with guns, kung fu, and radical visual effects. Not only did it spawn several trends, but it even made discussing philosophy seem cool. Everyone would talk about the extremely basic philosophical idea presented in the movie as though it was thought provoking and worthwhile. Eventually, as is the case with most of philosophy, we realized that all this questioning got us nowhere and that the answers really didn't matter and so we stopped discussing it (plus some mediocre sequels made it seem less cool). If you miss those days then you should go see this movie. Its the same idea, but rather than questioning if this is all some horrible virtual enslavement by a bunch of evil robots, the question revolves around whether all this is really a pretty ordinary dream (don't worry, thats not the plot, just a theme). Like The Matrix, this basic philosophical idea has been given the Hollywood treatment with radical visual effects, but less guns and kung fu (but it does have zero gravity fighting and thats a lot like kung fu). Also like The Matrix this has and will generate many discussions about seemingly thought provoking and worthwhile topics, that ultimately are meaningless questions which accomplish little, but help you seem more intellectual. Still, like The Matrix, this is an enjoyable and entertaining movie that I liked. If only the discussions that follow it were as enjoyable and entertaining. In the movie the characters have items that help them distinguish reality from dreams. Shoot, I don't need any items to know what's real. So how do I know that all this isn't just something that I am dreaming? Because I am not Batman and I am not wailing on a guitar that has a cool "hot rod" flames paint job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So how do I know that all this isn't just something that I am dreaming? Because I am not Batman and I am not wailing on a guitar that has a cool "hot rod" flames paint job.
I think those are my two most favorite sentences you have ever written. Hilarious. Agreed on all other counts.
Post a Comment