Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Picasso vs Robots

Here in Seattle, the first Thursday of every month is a special occasion. What makes it special? Well local museums decide to reduce their fees to my favorite price and make admittance free for the evening. The only trouble is in deciding which museum to visit. This last free Thursday was a real tough call. On the one hand, the Seattle Art Museum had a special Picasso exhibit offering me the chance to see some of these priceless pieces of art.



Yep, some real beauts. Now on the other hand, the normally underwhelming Sci-Fi Museum was offering Cylons.



Those are the kind of killer robots that would teach those sissy robots from Star Wars a thing or two if they ever got them inside the ring.



As if seeing the robots was not enough, they were also offering the chance to see some life size models of the spaceships that would hunt down those murderous robots. On display was the classic and new viper models.




As you can see it was a real hard decision. Classic art or robots and spaceships? Fortunately, my choice was made easier because the Seattle Art Museum broke the cardinal rule of Free Museum Thursday and while the museum was still free that night, the Picasso exhibit was not. Bad news for Picasso. I really shouldn't be too surprised I guess. I mean if you put Picasso against robots 10 times, he only walks away with 3, maybe 4 wins tops.

Much to the chagrin of many a nerd, the Sci-Fi Museum, demanding to be taken seriously, had these posted throughout the exhibit.



And that is why I am not piloting any of those ships or chumming it up with the walking, chrome toaster in those photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure some of Picasso's paintings were of robots. I mean, have you seen those things? Tough call, but you made the right choice.