Sunday, September 11, 2011

Back off man...I'm a scientist!

Just before I left UW last December I submitted my last paper from graduate school. Now several months later it has finally been published, thus bringing to a close my graduate work. Its an ok paper in which we identified hundreds of genetic variants called copy number variants (CNVs) and then looked at how they are distributed among a panel of diverse dog breeds. We identified certain patterns that may actually contribute to breed specific traits. Here's my favorite figure from the paper:



It pretty well sums up my graduate work. It is messy and not easily understandable, but if you step back it sort of looks neat and impressive even though it is mostly just for show and in fact rather meaningless. Thats science baby! I miss working on dog genetics and perhaps one day I will return to it, but for now I have plenty of other meaningless, but hopefully impressive looking figures to make for other science things.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Nice job Tom! You know I'm a big fan of the research and I'm sure Canine-Americans everywhere would be too if they could read. Wait...unless you already found a reading gene in any of those dogs?