In The Lord of The Rings there is no fantastical race that gets brushed aside as much as the dwarves. We begin and end in the hobbit capital with a hobbit as the main character, we visit various elvish settlements and learn about their long history, and it culminates with the "Age of Men" beginning as a new king is crowned. Shoot, we even get to know the ents fairly well. Aside from one dwarf in the fellowship and a stop in an old, dead dwarf city, all we really get about the dwarves is that they are the punchline to many jokes and generally serve as the comedic relief to those uptight, effeminate elves...and anyone else really. Thats one reason why I liked this movie so much; the dwarves finally get their chance to be in the spotlight and they are so much more entertaining than those stuffy elves. Now, some of these dwarves need to get some actual dwarf beards and stop trying to look so human-like. I mean one of the dudes is just sporting some scruff on his face? He's gotta be made fun by all the other dwarves right? Sort of like some sort of dwarf metrosexual or something? Dwarves most defining characteristic is their beards! I'm talking big ol' beards (I'm looking especially at you Thorin, you're suppose to their king for crying out loud)! Nevertheless, I'm glad the dwarves get their time to show off. Yes, this movie has lots of unnecessary stuff added to it that is really not that important, but much like how I could listen to Optimus Prime talk all day, I can pretty much look at Middle Earth on screen all day too so this was no problem for me. In fact, I can't wait for the next one!

No comments:
Post a Comment