The first Iron Man movie begins with the familiar chords dun! du du dun! du du dun! du du doo du du doo du du dun! du du dun! du du dun! and just like that we are introduced to the title character, Tony Stark, aka, Iron Man via AC/DC. Then in the sequel when we first are reunited with Iron Man it is as he jumps out of a plane and soars through the sky, all while rocking to Shoot to Thrill, another hit from AC/DC. In fact, AC/DC released an Iron Man 2 soundtrack album filled with their signature rock. It seemed that they had become the unofficial music of Iron Man. Even when Iron Man first arrives to confront Loki in The Avengers he does this by hijacking the nearby PA system and blasting, for all to hear, Shoot to Thrill (apparently a favorite of ol' Shellhead's). This is funny since there is an actual heavy metal song called Iron Man by Black Sabbath (hence Tony is wearing a Black Sabbath shirt in The Avengers), but AC/DC somehow seems more fitting. Imagine then my surprise when this movie begins with Eiffel 65's Blue. You might call that a departure from the norm. In fact, you might describe it as an enormous change of pace. Ok, maybe it just begins on a different note? I mean surely AC/DC is just around the corner to get us back on track right? Sadly no. There is no AC/DC to be found anywhere in this movie. Not sure who dropped the ball on this one, but this was like missing an easy layup. I mean its a gimme. The good news is this is my biggest criticism of the movie. Its not like they forgot to include Robert Downey Jr. or his sweet robot suits so its still fun and everything. The bad news is the more I think about it, the more this exemplifies what makes this Iron Man movie seem just a bit different and maybe even a little off. Then again, maybe I, like virtually every other person on this planet, just like AC/DC more than Eiffel 65.

1 comment:
I'm loving this review. I have not seen the movie ... yet. But all you said is the TRUTH. And I also would like to add that you should be a full time PAID movie critic!!! You are always right on and funny:)
Post a Comment