Monday, March 31, 2014

Most complimentary sitcom characters to be compared to that are obviously not Ted Mosby

The show How I Met Your Mother just came to an end after an impressive 9 seasons. A lot of people really liked this show, but I have never watched it. I don't really have a good reason for why I never watched it, but rest assured, I do have some ridiculous ones. Even without watching it, I quickly surmised that it was basically Friends 2.0 and even though I used to watch Friends, as soon as Seinfeld ended, I realized it was not actually funny, I did not actually like Friends, and I never watched it again. More recently I started to get a hunch that if I ever did watch the show I would probably identify with the main character, Ted Mosby, too much.



This inexplicably bothered me. Why? Well remember how this show is basically Friends again? He is basically the reboot of this guy from Friends:



Yep, the most loserly of all the friends, Ross. You see, in the show Ted is relating to his children how he met their mother. For some reason this takes 9 years worth of storytelling! I mean I like talking more than most, but that seriously must require some extraneous and unnecessary details. In telling this story he simultaneously was giving a history of his closest friends' lives and their romantic conquests which quickly became more interesting and entertaining than his own story. Probably because his own story focuses so much on his failed relationships and inability to find "the one". At least as far as I can tell thats the case since during the last 9 years I never heard anyone actually talk about Ted and his adventures, but rather about the recent exploits of his friend, grown up Doogie Howser. That is until now...since he is actually finally getting to how he met those kid's mom so the show can end! So basically the main character lost the spotlight of his own show to his more funny and charismatic friends. Who would want to be compared to that guy? Not me, but unfortunately that is precisely who my friends who actually watch the show say I am mostly closely aligned with. Rats! This irrationally bums me out, but also forced me to think about who on a current sitcom TV would be the best to be compared to? So here are the most complimentary people you could be compared to on sitcoms today.



Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec is easily at the top of this list. He is the epitome of a man's man. A proponent of all things meat (except fish meat, which is practically a vegetable). An expert woodworker and handyman. Abhors the uselessness of politics and his job, but oddly values hard work and accomplishment. Creator of the Swanson Pyramid of Greatness for maximum personal achievement. Supremely confident, calm, and non-confrontational. A gentleman. And happens to have a pretty great birthday. If this were a top 5 list, he would probably occupy numbers 1 through 3.



Nick Miller from New Girl makes the cut. Sure he is more or less socially inept, rather belligerent, and perhaps lazy, but he is quite grounded, frugal, extremely loyal, romantic, and hilarious. He also decided to drop out of law school despite being capable just because he knew he would be miserable as a lawyer. That takes guts and independence. Plus, he obviously rocks the fist pump like no other!



Sergeant Terry Jeffords from Brooklyn 99 is the surprise newcomer and maybe the shows main character Detective Jake Peralta is more deserving, but nope! I am giving it to Terry. He's a leader, family man, blah, blah, blah, whatever! He is played by Terry Crews! This Terry Crews. Any comparison that connects you to him in any way is a compliment.

There you have it! As of right now those are the best that current sitcoms have to offer us. If somehow we could open it up to the all time complimentary sitcom characters to be compared to then we would add these hall of famers.



Sam Malone from Cheers. Former ball player, ladies man, and self proclaimed "luckiest son of a bitch on earth".



Dr. Heathcliff "Cliff" Huxtable from The Cosby Show. Successful doctor, racial stereotype wall-tearer-downer, good dancer, confident enough to wear any sweater, and arguably the best husband and father of all time.



Jack Donaghy from 30 Rock. Expert businessman and boss, perfect mentor, exceptionally high self-esteem, and a great head of hair.

Yep, those are some of the all time greats. To be compared to them would be the highest of compliments. They are not infallible, but the first thing that comes to mind when you think of them is almost always a desirable trait, unlike that mopey Ted Mosby. Not sure he is characterized by anything other than "that guy who took a while to find a wife, but somehow takes an even longer time relating how he met her". Kudos on 9, what were apparently good enough, years. I may be sorry to be compared to you, but you got that going for you and I am sure you have barely noticed any protest from me.

No comments: