Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Down the Oregon coast

Everyone knows that I love the northwest and while my heart may be in Washington, I like Oregon too. Especially when I find myself staying in a beach house with this as my backyard.





I was there with my family, including all my nieces and nephews. You know, I hear parents sometimes comment that their kids are growing up too fast. Well a couple of my nieces and nephews are at just the perfect ages.




But when they wake you up in the middle of the night while you're crashing on a couch, you remember that growing up wouldn't be so awful either. Still we had lots of fun on the beach. Played some soccer. Ran in the surf. Collected shells. I was even their male muse while they sculpted me with sand.



They are all such artistic protégés that all of their sculptures were more symbolic, resembling castles rather than their uncle, but I am sure that was just to represent my apparent stalwartness and fortitude. We also summitted the nearest sand dune on the beach.




All while still having time to rev up the engines, just to listen to her howlin' roar.




Not everything we did was on the beach though. We took in some movies, which clearly enchanted everyone more than my phone.



Made a trip to a lighthouse and an aquarium.



Where we saw a few sea otters that attempted to challenge the red panda as the most adorable animal on the planet.




Of course, we also made a quick trip to Tillamook to sample some cheese. All in all, it was a great trip and my status as favorite uncle is secure.



At least as long as I'm the only uncle around...and I'm the one pressuring you to tell me who your favorite uncle is. Thanks to Mom and Dad for making everything possible and to every one else for coming along.

No comments: