Monday, November 19, 2007

Rivalry Week

So Rivalry Week begins today as the Utes prepare to face the team down south. This is always an exciting week. I experience great excitement and a never ending nervousness. From one point of view you get to see the Utah Cobra at his finest. From another, perhaps more accurate point of view, you get to see Jerkolas at his finest. Anyway I will try and chronicle this as best I can. GO UTES!!!


This was in one of the Salt Lake Tribune blogs today:

"BYU sent out an email to the media asking for the reporters to act with professionalism during the week, and don't try to give players loaded questions or bait them into saying something that will wind up on the Utah bulletin board. One of the local TV stations seized on that directive to ask "softer" questions to sophomore Jan Jorgensen such as "Do you like rainbows?" and "How cute are puppies?" Jorgensen was a good sport and played right along. By the way, Jorgensen likes rainstorms as well as rainbows."

This is hilarious. Oh, could you also please remind fans not to boo our players. It hurts their feelings. I am sure that players from both sides will still manage to put their feet in their mouths and say something stupid (ok so I really only meant to direct this at the zoobies, but it is the start of rivalry week and I am still in a pretty good mood).

GO UTES!

UPDATE

Utah's coach Whittingham referenced the cougar's request to "limit" the media's access in a comment today. I think he handled it very well. He displayed faith and confidence in his players and acknowledged the truth about it. Here is his comment:

"I think the players handle the media well. I think they are pretty savvy," Whittingham said. "Players will be players, and some of them make statements. But, as players, that's acceptable. You don't want it to happen. You don't want to be too flippant or blatant, but players get excited and they're competitive. That happens from time to time."

GO UTES!



2 comments:

Drew said...

Pretty lame byu, pretty lame. Does this rule count for academics as well. We wouldn't want to upset anyone by taken stances regarding former presidents, revolutionary ideas or the like. Better to be safe and write papers on non-threatening topics, such as "Ducks, your water-fowl friend" and "Candy is good, just don't eat too much". That's the team down south for you!

Drew said...

Possible questions for byu players:
1. Do you like the color blue (oh wait that might mean that he doesn't like red), scratch that...Are you a fan of all colors?
2. Do you think beavers are industrious animals (oh wait...utah played osu, possibly making them mad about that)...what I mean to ask is do you find having animals on the planet good or bad?
3. Do you enjoy playing for university that makes you look like a total dufus that is unable to speak for himself in a coherent manner about a game played on an annual basis? I mean...