Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Book Review "The Catcher in the Rye"

After reading comics and books for young adults I thought it was time to read something more substantial. There are lots of classics that I have never read and this little work by J.D. Salinger is one of them. I will be honest with ya, I don't really understand this book at all. I really don't see the point to it. I'm sure there is something there, but it doesn't really stand out that much to me. Basically we have this character, Holden Caulfied, who is a rebellious, arrogant, slacker, kid who always flunks out of school. Everything is told from his point of view. He is foul (the language in the book bothered me) and pretty much hates everything, except his baby sister. The only way I could relate to him is to think of all the things that bother me and that I dislike. That didn't help make the book very enjoyable. I guess he is suppose to represent the teenage generation. In fact this book is exactly like looking at the world through the lens of the teenage loner that thinks that just because he can write about anything on the internet he must be a genius (really makes me wonder if my blog is really any different). At the end of the book I really don't see much growth in his character. He is still a slacker, but I guess he does finally make one good decision thanks to his sister's role in his life. Like I said, I'm sure I am missing something here. It would probably be a good book to discuss with others. Something has made this book a classic of literature, but so far I liked Batman more.

2 comments:

Jefe said...

Booo! This novel is worth 10 million Batmans. I loved it. Maybe you have to read it as a teenager to really identify?

Jerkolas said...

I just thought the kid was a jerk and whenever I related to him it made me feel like a jerk. Whenever I have related myself to Batman I feel awesome. You can't beat that Holden.