Quite a long time ago my boss talked about sending me to some conferences if we could only find some about dog genetics. Half joking I suggesting some that I found in Budapest, Hungary and in France. I suggested sending me to either one and to my surprise he said ok. How could I say no after that? So I picked Hungary (the other conference looked like it was mostly a veterinarian conference) and after several allocations of funds I find myself getting ready to take off in just a little while. This is the conference I am going to:

It has a little genetics, a little evolution, and a ton of behavior, but its all dog and other canids. I have had a lot of mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I will be presenting a poster there (not really a big deal) and this is the first time I am venturing out solo as a scientist. Mostly I was feeling strange about it because I would be traveling alone to Hungary. I have never really vacationed by myself before. Plus this isn't cheap and is eating a nice little chunk into some of my boss' grants. Well regardless of any of that I am going. I'll be celebrating the 4th of the July the way our founding fathers intended...in Europe. I have no idea what to expect out of this conference or Hungary really. I know very little about both. Looks like the conference will keep me busy for most of the time and also will provide some pretty neat activities, mostly dog or Hungary related. Budapest looks pretty amazing as well. The scenery and architecture looks incredible. Gonna see the river Danube. Maybe even check out some Hungarian thermal baths which may or may not have naked Europeans in them. If that doesn't get you excited what else could? I am certainly warming up to it. I am excited to go see some new things, try some new foods , and maybe even learn a little. It is very nice of my boss to provide me with this opportunity. Be back in a bit and with a ton of photos.
2 comments:
Wow. Hungary sounds cool. Have fun!
I think you forgot to combine two of your points... "Celebrate the 4th like our founding fathers intended, with Naked Europeans!"
Tom, good work. I hope the 4th brought you many a naked Euro. You should spice things up with a presentation of your own doing: Dinos or Dog DNA, which do you want to hear about? Do we even need to take a vote on that one...
Post a Comment