I finished reading this just before heading out to Peru. It fits right in there with the other 1984 style books that take a philosophical notion or idea and run it into an extremely unlikely future. In this one mindless entertainment and satisfaction are so much a part of society that books are inherently evil and get this, firemen no longer stop fires, but start them...to burn books...and the people who read them. Pretty far out there right? I don't really see it happening any time too soon, but you never know. Its a pretty straightforward book. No real surprises here or there, but pretty good. The best part is that like 1984 and its cousins (think Brave New World, Atlas Shrugged, or maybe Animal Farm) you become automatically more intellectual for having read it despite the fact that it is a relatively simple book with few complex ideas. Sure its a pseudo-intellectualism, but who's gonna know? But seriously its a good read and hey it has a good message; books are all right. Its funny how you write a book about how important books are. I mean, most likely your audience is all ready in agreement unless a lot of book burners are reading it. I sort of doubt it, just like I doubt communists ever read 1984...except to dream.Random updates, thoughts, ideas, and complaints (with pictures). Way better than Facebook stalking!
Monday, September 15, 2008
Book Review "Fahrenheit 451"
I finished reading this just before heading out to Peru. It fits right in there with the other 1984 style books that take a philosophical notion or idea and run it into an extremely unlikely future. In this one mindless entertainment and satisfaction are so much a part of society that books are inherently evil and get this, firemen no longer stop fires, but start them...to burn books...and the people who read them. Pretty far out there right? I don't really see it happening any time too soon, but you never know. Its a pretty straightforward book. No real surprises here or there, but pretty good. The best part is that like 1984 and its cousins (think Brave New World, Atlas Shrugged, or maybe Animal Farm) you become automatically more intellectual for having read it despite the fact that it is a relatively simple book with few complex ideas. Sure its a pseudo-intellectualism, but who's gonna know? But seriously its a good read and hey it has a good message; books are all right. Its funny how you write a book about how important books are. I mean, most likely your audience is all ready in agreement unless a lot of book burners are reading it. I sort of doubt it, just like I doubt communists ever read 1984...except to dream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Bravo. Bravo my friend. What a fantastic review. Taking pseudo-intellectualism (that's my favorite kind) and connecting that to day-dreaming communists? FANTASTIC!
Post a Comment