Last Monday I went to the Tractor with my friend Jen for some ol' fashion square dancing. They do this twice a month on Mondays. Now I haven't been square dancing since maybe the 6th grade when they would try and make us interact with the girls somehow and they thought square dancing was the key. Well it didn't work then, but it works now. The place was pack full of all sorts of people and you would bump into each other throughout the night. The caller instructs everyone on some calls for a few minutes and then you get to put it to use and dance. They even have their own band playing. My favorite dance was called "Cheat or Swing" which allowed every guy and girl the chance to "cheat" on their partner and swing with someone else's partner or they could stick it out with their partner. I was nothing but loyal during the dance, but was also the first guy that any of the girls picked to "cheat" with. Thats right, I still got it! Overall I had a great time and here are lessons learned from square dancing:-Mormons are not the only people that square dance.
-Square dancing seems to make everyone pleasant and happy to be around even if you bump into them.
-You get surprisingly dizzy square dancing.
-Don't wear loose pants when you square dance.
-You apparently can be sloshed and still square dance, at least it didn't seem to stop most folks there.
-Girls enjoy square dancing (this might be applicable to any sort of dancing).
-You constantly switch partners, but somehow always end up together.
-Square dancing seems to make everyone pleasant and happy to be around even if you bump into them.
-You get surprisingly dizzy square dancing.
-Don't wear loose pants when you square dance.
-You apparently can be sloshed and still square dance, at least it didn't seem to stop most folks there.
-Girls enjoy square dancing (this might be applicable to any sort of dancing).
-You constantly switch partners, but somehow always end up together.
Square dancing was fun. I will add it to my list of dances that I would like to become somewhat proficient in, but likely will continue to learn it in a passive way. It'll fit in well right along side tap, salsa, tango, and some sort of bust a move dance. I am much more active about the dances I don't care to learn. You hear me line and swing? I'm talking to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment