Monday, February 2, 2009

I took on the bacon explosion

Every once and a while something comes along that you just know you will have to do. For most folks this may be career related. Perhaps education or family. Maybe a thrill or hobby. For me it happened when I read about the bacon explosion. I couldn't resist. The stars were aligned for it what with Superbowl Sunday being this last weekend. It is really very easy to make.



First you weave the bacon. I went for a 5x5 bacon square. Add some seasoning or a nice BBQ rub at this point.



Lay down some sausage. Any kind will do. I used a mix of regular and maple because that was all I had...so I guess it was sort of a BBQ breakfast bacon explosion. Anyway then you add some cooked bacon and drizzle some BBQ sauce on it.



Roll up the sausage first and form it into a good log. Then you can roll the bacon weave over it pretty easily. Make it tight. Add some more of the seasoning or rub.



Put it on the grill at a medium hot heat for about an hour or so and pour on some more BBQ sauce and BAM you got a Bacon Explosion!

So how was it? Well its exactly what it is...a big ol' piece of sausage with some bacon. It really is more of a sausage log. In fact I used 2 lbs of sausage and really I think you don't need so much. Honestly it was ok. Not great, but the idea of it is great and that made it worth it. Really it was a thrill to make and it did teach me the fine art of bacon weaving (a skill I am sure will come in handy for many years to come). It was a fine addition to the Superbowl spread we had and I have plenty of leftovers.

It was a pretty great Superbowl (poor Cardinals scored too early), but the commercials were certainly lacking. Not really Superbowl quality. I guess the recession has hit everyone pretty hard. A few good ones here and there. Like Jason Statham's sigh at the Lexus in this one. Conan makes me laugh. So does Alec Baldwin and Bill Shatner. Pain is funny right? And riding a sea lion got a laugh outta me. One of my favorite ones might be a little unexpected. If you have seen commercials from these guys before you may have thought that this was just another run of the mill commercial. Then when Hammer appeared I knew it would be a favorite. But actually this might have been my favorite.

Thanks again Superbowl for giving me an excuse to eat poorly and watch TV all day. Until next year!

1 comment:

Diane said...

I think I feel sick just after reading that!