Saturday, August 15, 2009

Yeah, that just happened

I was just preparing my lunch (super nachos by the way) and had my iPod going. As always it was set on random. It plays the first song and then selects the second song and you know what? It was the exact same song as the first! Probability of this happening?

(1/6077)² = 0.00000002707831

Amazing! Nearly impossible and I was there. The song...Aha's "Take on Me".



BAD NEWS - Turns out that one of my roommates switched my iPod off of random and so by virtue of Aha starting with an 'A' and having two copies of "Take on Me" (one regular and one extended) this becomes far less impressive. Under these conditions the probability of this amazing feat changes from the very improbable near impossibility to the very probable 100%. I am sure you are just as bummed out as I am.

3 comments:

ebv said...

Does this mean you'll be gone in a day or two?

A miracle, my friend. And what a perfect song to accompany it--I mean, what are the chances that you could jump through a mirror into a highly stylized cartoon world? About the same, I would guess.

Congrats! This is way cooler than the dog genome. :D

Jerkolas said...

Waaaaay cooler!

Drew said...

I was impressed. Was.