Thursday, October 15, 2009

Finished the whole thing...and a goal too!

When I first began graduate school I was new to Seattle, wide eyed and full of wonderment. Anything seemed possible and as one tends to do during transition periods of life, I made some goals. One of those goals was to finish graduate school in a specific amount of time. Another goal was formed early during that first year when a classmate took me to Gordito's (please notice that it is advertised as "Healthy Mexican Food"). He had told me all about these big burritos they make and advised me not to eat anything that day. Well they ain't foolin' when they claim that their burrito is the size of a baby.



Seriously it was like trying to eat my keyboard if my keyboard was made of delicious burrito! Now anyone can make a huuuuge burrito, but not just anyone can make a really good huuuuge burrito. These guys can, but despite its tastiness I could only eat about 3/4's of it that night. I walked away defeated, but telling myself that someday before I leave Seattle I would finish that burrito. A new goal was set. While I have been back with visitors and friends that was really the only time I attempted to take it all down. The years passed. Grad school began to wear me down. I became less wide eyed. Some may say I became more cynical (all part of the natural grad school process), but I still remembered my goal. Last Saturday after eating a large lunch of taco soup it was approaching the dinner hour when my roommate suggested we go to Gordito's. Having not been there in well over a year I wholeheartedly agreed. I wasn't too hungry, but still intended to get the burrito grande and take the plentiful leftovers home to feed myself for the coming week. The burrito was placed in front of me and soon I was reminded of just how good those burritos are. Then something happened! I looked and a little more than half the burrito was eaten, but the surprising thing? I wasn't full beyond belief. I had entered the zone. Not knowing how long the zone would last or if I would get this chance again I went for it. Soon I was polishing off the last bits of chicken, beans, and rice. I had done it! My roommate is a witness. The best part is I wasn't even too hungry when I entered the place. Don't know how I did it. Maybe watching that "Man vs Food" show has taught me a few things (nah). I had conquered, but more importantly I completed my goal. Hear that ladies? I am not only a goal setter, but also a goal achiever (maybe just forget about the nature of this particular goal if that helps). Now I just need to finish some of those other Seattle goals, like get my PhD, but seriously ten years from now which goal do you think I will brag about more? PhD? Huuuuge burrito? The second choice is the right answer.

Believe in your dreams kids.

3 comments:

katie said...

that's pretty impressive, but is it 8 scoops of ice cream topped with 8 toppings and 8 cookies impressive? I'm not sure.

megan said...

...and this is one of the many reasons why you and Jeremiah are such good friends. You and I are friends too, Tom. Just not to the point of setting certain "goals" :) Congrats.

Thaidra said...

I'd have to agree with Katie. Once you finish the Tchoup Challenge, then you can have some major bragging rights. :) Good job though.