Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"I know this dream, it might be crazy, but it's the only one I've got."

There are a few things that I have done in my life that I look forward to being able to tell my grandchildren someday. Things like being present at Utah's Fiesta Bowl and the Sugar Bowl victories or the time I took the girl voted "Best Looking" in my high school class to the prom (yeah, I totally did) are among them. By no means was I gonna let the chance to tell them that I saw Bob Dylan live pass me by like I did with The Who and The Rolling Stones (still time?). Bob helped greatly in this matter by coming to Seattle this last weekend and I was able to go see him Monday night.



Man it was a thrill! He played about 100 minutes straight. No breaks, no chatting with the crowd (except to thank us at the end), just straight music. I'll be honest, he played plenty of newer songs that I did not know (they still sounded great), but I was surprised with how many of his big ones he played for us. Some of them included "Lay, Lady, Lay", "Highway 61 Revisited", "Ballad of a Thin Man", and the nicest surprises "Like a Rolling Stone", and "All Along the Watchtower". Of course I have heard these songs dozens of times, but he brought something different to all of them. Yes, his voice is super scratchy and nearly gone, but come on, his voice has always been a subject for discussion. I thought it was great! Even at his age I highly recommend seeing him if you get the chance. I mean the guy is 68 years old and with his finale, "All Along the Watchtower", he rocked harder than I will ever rock in my life! Of course I can't tell my grandchildren that last part.

1 comment:

SGarff said...

Oh man, way to make me jealous. Sounds like an great show. With Dylan you never know what you're gonna get. I've heard sometimes he does amazing sets and other times he will play like three songs and walk off.

I saw him play in Jackson Hole five years ago it was totally awesome. He did Like a Rolling Stone and Watchtower as well as a lot of the classics. He performed them so differently that sometimes I couldn't tell what song it was until halfway through.