You'd think that dressing up as KISS would be more than enough rocking and rolling all night for anyone, but shortly after doing this we learned that the KISS Alive 35 Tour would be coming through Seattle. This was too much of a coincidence and we immediately began making plans to get to that concert. Then we found out it was on Sunday and all our plans were ruined. After punching holes in the wall a friend told us that the following Tuesday KISS would be down in Portland. And so plans for our rock odyssey began. We assembled our team and were just about to buy tickets when some of the girls in our group started having second thoughts. I was called into action to convince them not to miss this once in a lifetime event. After presenting to them the KISS philosophy I made them a few promises about going to a KISS concert:
-Best stage show ever with raising platforms and smoke and lights and fire
-Not just fireworks, but a firework shooting guitar
-Yes, some blood spitting, but also fire breathing
-Flying, yep, honest to goodness dudes flying
-That it would be a mind blowing event
-Not just fireworks, but a firework shooting guitar
-Yes, some blood spitting, but also fire breathing
-Flying, yep, honest to goodness dudes flying
-That it would be a mind blowing event
Not too mention that telling cool guys that they saw KISS live would do nothing, but impress them. Additionally they would be seeing one of the greatest live shows of all time. Sure the music stylings might not be exactly what they like, but make no mistake that KISS takes entertaining others very seriously and after 35 years of doing it they have only gotten better. I assured them that we would make it worth their while. After a quick vote, everyone was once again on board.
After a 3 hour ride to Portland we made our way to the Rose Garden. Buckcherry was the opening act...the stage was way too big for them. Once they were done a curtain fell over the stage so it could be prepared for KISS. After a half hour or so, the lights went out and we heard it-
PORTLAND! You wanted the best...you got the best! The greatest band in the world...KISS!
The curtain dropped, lights flashed, fireworks went off, and there they were, leading off with "Deuce" followed by "Strutter" and it had begun. There they are, rocking from start to finish.



It didn't take too long before we were sold.



To be honest I was a little concerned that KISS would let me down and not deliver on all the things I promised. Now I know that you never need to doubt a rock band, at least not any of the good ones because they always deliver and so much more.
So first, I promised smoke, lights, and fire all over the stage.

Check! Not only did they have fire all over the stage, they invented new colors of fire. Normal fire is just too boring for KISS. There was yellow, green, blue, and yes, red fire all over the place. The platforms were soon to come.
Second, I promised a firework shooting guitar and they brought one because a regular guitar would just be ok. This one was awesome! A definite improvement on ok.

So thats a bit hard to see, but thats Spaceman during his solo. First he had a guitar with a mirror on the back that shot beams of light all over the arena (you can see the beams over there on the right), but he switched that out for another that shot rockets out of it when he hit his power chord. Thats what all those sparks are. He did it 3 times!
I also promised blood spitting and yes Gene Simmons did not hesitate. I think the girls closed their eyes during this.

But, with the aid of some sort of fire-sword-torch he also breathed fire. Check!

Perhaps the most incredible promise I made was that there would be flying. Yeah, flying! Of course KISS delivered. After spitting some blood, Gene "The Demon" Simmons suddenly took off into the air and landed on the light scaffolds above the stage.

Of course there was a mic up there for him and they launched into "I Love it Loud" with him up there for the duration.

Not to be out done, Paul did a little flying of sorts of his own, but only after we called him out. Paul's interaction with the crowd was great all night so I snagged this video.
And here he is coming on out!
Flying? Yeah, BIG check and then some more!
So KISS delivered in every way, but they did even a little more. Would you believe that they gave a public service announcement? Yep, its true. Before singing "Cold Gin" Paul reminded everyone, while shaking his finger, that you should never drink and drive. Thats just another indication of these guys' high quality.
Man, all in all I think its pretty safe to say that...THIS WAS THE BEST CONCERT I HAVE EVER BEEN TO!!! They played all their classics and of course some of their new ones. The only ones that were missing that I would have liked were "I Was Made For Lovin' You" and "God Gave Rock and Roll to You". After waxing philosophical about the state of the world and how rock and roll takes us away from it all they finished their regular show with, you guessed it, "Rock and Roll All Night".

Of course we got them back for an encore. Not some sissy 1 or 2 song encore. No, they came out for another 30-45 minutes with "Shout It Out Loud", "Lick It Up", "Love Gun", and their real finale "Detroit Rock City".

The last promise I made them was that this concert would blow their minds. Well...

I'd say it was a mission accomplished! It blew our minds too.

Easily one of the best decisions I made since moving to Seattle. In fact if there was ever any doubt about why I moved to Seattle, well, this helped bring some closure to that. I cannot believe how much fun it was. My brother saw these guys back in 96. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a nearly identical show, but one thing is clear; these guys are pure entertainers and they know exactly what they are doing. Just bringing good ol' rock and roll to the masses in it's most flashy form.
Once we had calmed down enough to get back in the car, we made a quick stop at VooDoo Doughnuts for the trip home.

Then it was a ride home with an astonished looked of pure amazement glued to our faces. We rolled back into Seattle around 3am. Totally worth it!

You drive us wild, we'll drive you craaaazy!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment