Monday, December 14, 2009

Movie review "The Blind Side"

Generally when you hear that a movie is based a true story it usually is dealing with something from the pages of history. Like the older sort of history. The kind that is in textbooks. Documentaries don't count, especially now that they are so in vogue. Yes sometimes more recent events are developed into feature films. These usually deal with extraordinary events or things you have never heard about (sometimes both of those apply). But here is where I am going with this. What if you rolled up to the movie theater one day, looked up at the marquee, and saw that a real, Hollywood movie about your life was playing? What if you weren't even 30 years old and yet, there it is, a movie about you? Well that is what happened to Michael Oher. This guy is only 23 years old and has all ready experienced enough that they wrote a book about him and then made it into a movie. Oh, and he also plays in the NFL. Extraordinary? Yes. Unknown? Certainly not anymore. Lots of good stuff here and it is certainly a story worth being told. Now my question is, if you are Michael Oher, where do you go from here? How do you top this? I suppose he all ready did all this in 23 years, imagine what he could do with 50 more years. Thats one way to look at it. Another way is maybe to focus on the fact that "based on a true story" allows some room for Hollywood embellishments. I have no idea if there were many in this movie (I'd like to hope that there were not many), but generally all of these true stories have them. Some probably more than others. Using this they could crack out "Revenge of the Blind Side" or shoot, they could make a trilogy of it. It could work. Hollywood magic is how I am counting on my true life story being turned into a movie. I'm not 30 yet either, and no, there is not much to base a movie on, but thats where the embellishments come in. With those in my corner I'm sure there are any number of gems in my life that Hollywood could do something with. Like the time I wrestled a bear with my bare hands...to save a school bus full of children...that was on fire! Real or not, you're telling me you wouldn't go see that?

2 comments:

Laney said...

Interestingly enough, Oher isn't really interested in the hoopla surrounding his life.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1163290/index.htm

I highly recommend the book, by the way. It is half about Oher, and half about the development of modern football and why the LT position has become so important and higly paid.

Jerkolas said...

Which adds to the reasons for why his story is worth being told.