My brother once had a theory that for everyone there existed that one movie role that they could really nail. A good example is that guy in Napolean Dynamite. He is largely forgettable in any other movie you will ever see him in, but was perfect as Napolean. If this theory is true, there are 3 routes you can take to be successful in Hollywood: be incredibly versatile (a true thespian), hope that your one role is needed in a lot of movies, or be really, really, ridiculously, good looking. The über successful ones are probably some combination of the 3. As of late, Robert Downey Jr. has truly honed in on that second one (my lady friends may claim that he has some touch of the third as well, I dunno). He has found an incredibly rich niche in playing the super intelligent, arrogant, mouthy and somewhat spoiled savant. He filled that role as Iron Man and thats what he does here. He does it well, so well, that it makes a lot of money. This is brilliant as it insures that the actor's role is needed again and again in the numerous sequels that the earned money demands. It is rare that an actor generates two distinct and bankable franchises playing the same, or nearly the same, sort of character. Well done Robert! Anyway, I always thought that Sherlock was more of a gentleman, but this jerky brawler version works too. I have no idea what my perfect role would be, but if I could choose I think I would want it to be this guy.Random updates, thoughts, ideas, and complaints (with pictures). Way better than Facebook stalking!
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Movie Review "Sherlock Holmes"
My brother once had a theory that for everyone there existed that one movie role that they could really nail. A good example is that guy in Napolean Dynamite. He is largely forgettable in any other movie you will ever see him in, but was perfect as Napolean. If this theory is true, there are 3 routes you can take to be successful in Hollywood: be incredibly versatile (a true thespian), hope that your one role is needed in a lot of movies, or be really, really, ridiculously, good looking. The über successful ones are probably some combination of the 3. As of late, Robert Downey Jr. has truly honed in on that second one (my lady friends may claim that he has some touch of the third as well, I dunno). He has found an incredibly rich niche in playing the super intelligent, arrogant, mouthy and somewhat spoiled savant. He filled that role as Iron Man and thats what he does here. He does it well, so well, that it makes a lot of money. This is brilliant as it insures that the actor's role is needed again and again in the numerous sequels that the earned money demands. It is rare that an actor generates two distinct and bankable franchises playing the same, or nearly the same, sort of character. Well done Robert! Anyway, I always thought that Sherlock was more of a gentleman, but this jerky brawler version works too. I have no idea what my perfect role would be, but if I could choose I think I would want it to be this guy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Tom - great review of Sherlock. We liked it too. And your Avatar critique was hilarious! When are you coming back to SLC? I know some girls that would like your sense of humor.
Hey we're finalizing extended Ryser family Havasupai plans for June 11-15. I know you and your dad have already been there but consider yourself invited. We have room.
Post a Comment