Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Oh Canada!

In 2002 I was diligently serving the Lord in Argentina. As much as I love my family and friends, I wasn't homesick. In fact I was having a blast as anyone would in Argentina. Also in 2002 the Olympic Winter Games decided to visit my home town and put on a show. Again I was very obediently having a great time in Argentina, but happened to walk by a store one night with it's TV on. Right then they showed the Salt Lake Temple and clips of all the Olympic festivities going on in my home. It was really the only time during my stay in Argentina that I can remember thinking "Gee, it'd be swell to be back home right now". I figured I missed my chance to catch the Olympics. Well who ever said that the Olympics were a once in a lifetime experience was wrong! While they were going on just a bit north of Seattle in Vancouver, Canada I popped up one Saturday to take it all in. It wasn't my hometown, but it was pretty good.

Our first stop was in some fenced off thing called a "Living City". These are locations where Olympic sponsors can set up a tent and hawk their junk to you. They deceive you by creating large lines outside of them that seem to say "Whatever is inside here is full of awesome"! So you wait and then leave the tent as soon as you stepped in. Except at the Coca Cola tent! Not only do they make a rich, deliciously satisfying cola, but they make a darn good Olympic tent with free coke and they gave us a torch to hold!



If you ever thought playing the Wii made you look strange, well, it could be stranger. You could be wearing polar bear paws while you played. Thanks to Coca Cola, we did.



Our parting gift was a plastic coke bottle that lights up all rave like when you turn it on. None of the other tents gave us anything. That Coca Cola is all right!

We found a few things outside the tents to entertain us like a fake dog sled.



It had real dogs though...



...the dogs were also fake as they had never pulled a sled in their life. They lived the pampered model life. None of that bothered us because we were lucky enough to find the elusive Quatchi. He's some sort of sasquatch with earmuffs. Whatever he is, he's 100% adorable and merchandisable.



We took to the streets of Vancouver to find some lunch. Whenever I am in a foreign land I like to sample the regional delicacies. After a little inquiring the most and only Canadian food that was thought of by the Canadians themselves was poutin.



Ah, poutin! You take potatoes, slice them into thin wedges, and fry them to a golden crispiness. Then you pour a succulent and warmed beef gravy over them. Lastly you top it with the classiest of cheeses: curds. A sophisticated taste for a sophisticated people. This is honestly the only Canadian dish that we could learn of and find. We did find this odd eatery as well.



The name does not fit the product as the big words in bold are never associated with the description that follows. Other Canadian advertising found elsewhere was far more effective in its simplicity and appeal.



There was a poster of equal size for the chicken bowl and pork bowl. Even the curry bowl was large and in charge. What ad wasn't so big? The veggie bowl. Ha!

There was far more going on in the streets including more lines. Really long lines. While we didn't make it to the zip line extending over a downtown city block we did find this rocket sled.



And a Vancouver cultural corner featuring these wind chimes.



We thought we were lucky when we spotted Quatchi, but then we turned a corner and lo and behold the Caped Crusader himself. He was on the corner picking fights with the bystanders.



You know I always pictured Batman to be larger...and not working for tips.

Our last stop was on the edge of downtown to find the Olympic cauldron and flame.



Pretty huh? Well to get the full effect picture it about 20 or so yards away from you and behind a cheap chain linked fence. Awe inspiring.

I was happy to see the Olympics up close and in person. I couldn't help but try and transfer everything I saw onto my hometown to get a hint of what it must of been like. I think it was probably better in Salt Lake (pretty sure we had snow). I mean, Mormons know how to throw a party, but the Canadians did a fine job. I've never seen so much love for Canada. It's not bad. I love Canada. I think every nation should have one. I couldn't agree more with the posters we saw around town.



And guess who is part Canadian? This guy!



Maybe they should rethink that request, but he'll treat you right.



Thanks to Jon for driving, Maren for giving us a place to stay, Adam for being as precious as he is, Canada for hosting, and USA, USA, USA for my Olympic spirit!

2 comments:

Ryser Family said...

Fun trip! Yep, it was great in SLC 2002.

Christine McBeth said...

I'm just going to assign you to be a tourist for me. Amazing. Seriously. We didn't even see any "The World Needs More Canada" signs. Not one. I really swear we were in Vancouver. Anyway, not to worry about some things, there's a "Beard Papa's" at Uwajimaya's in the Int'l District.