Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sing "Come Fly With Me"! Sing it!

I don't know how to dance. Never really have and never have really bothered to learn. Even though I don't know how to dance I can understand that people like dancing. As in actually dancing and maybe one day I'll learn to do that a bit. I have a harder time understanding why people might enjoy watching other people dance, but clearly they do. The exception here is the many sorts of break dancing, like this totally boss gold robot, I like watching that and would love to be able to do it. Nevertheless, there are all sorts of watching people dance shows on TV these days to suggest that I am in the minority (or the Y chromosome possessing) group here. In my mind an enjoyable dance number (both to actually perform or to watch) is much more dependent on the music or song and less so on the actual dance itself. Take this show I saw. The whole thing was dancing. No narrative or spoken word. Just dancing. But it was all to the tune of ol' blue eyes himself so as long as you like Frank Sinatra I think you can enjoy this show. I can't help but wonder if Frank himself would really enjoy this show or not. Of course, I never knew Mr. Sinatra so I can't really answer that. Pretty much everything I know about him is based on parodies of him from SNL like this:



With that in mind I believe that Frank is like me and probably doesn't get too much of a kick out of watching people dance, but hey, maybe he really likes listening to his own songs. If so, he'd probably enjoy this show just fine like I did.

No comments: