Thursday, December 26, 2013

Movie Review "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug"

One of the reasons that The Lord of the Rings movies were so good was the creators had incredible good fortune in making everything look and feel like the contents from Tolkien's books. Didn't matter whether it was the cast, the costumes, the creatures, the cities, or whatever. I'd say they had at least a 90% success rate. These Hobbit movies are not swinging quite as high. Just look at the main dwarves and you see that they are getting somewhere between 60% to 75% correctly. That is probably a pretty good estimate of how well they are doing overall with everything in these. That doesn't make these bad or anything. I mean, even on their misses they are still getting pretty close and I'd give them points for creativity. Aside from a shameful, beardless dwarf, their biggest swing and a miss is with Beorn, but he is just a minor character (a pretty cool one, but not very important) so you can't dock them too many points for that. Really going into all of this, it was the dragon Smaug that sat atop the golden pile of "they better get this one right". Unfortunately, I'm not sure I would call this Smaug a home run, but he is at least a solid double or triple that brings in some RBIs. Of course if you want to start an argument with a nerd just ask them whether the Smaug portrayed was more wyvern or dragon and sit back in a comfortable chair cause you'll be there longer than you expect or maybe want. Though I'm sure I have no comment on that because I didn't google looking for discussions on that topic earlier today or anything like that.

No comments: