Back when I was in grad school, my classmates and I bonded over several things. Nachos at Agua Verde, quotes from Anchorman, or our confusion regarding whatever just happened in the seminar we sat through which of course became our confusion regarding whatever the heck we were gonna do with our lives after grad school. Something really special though was when my classmate, Max, shared with me a CD from an Australian band. I immediately knew I would like this band when he told me they were called WOLFMOTHER and that they put Franz Frazetta paintings on their album covers. And I was right! No band brought ROCK like this to my ears in some time! I'm not the only one who thought so. They showed up in the popular silhouette ad campaign for iPod:
And the folks with Guitar Hero recognized that nothing was gonna get the people wanting to rock more than WOLFMOTHER and so they added some of their music to a commercial for the second game which made the game look like just about the greatest thing ever:
Unfortunately the game did not actually feature you stopping natural disasters or other catastrophes with the power of rock, but that wasn't WOLFMOTHER's fault. I'm not gonna show the commercial for Victoria's Secret that used a WOLFMOTHER song, but just know that happened too and so WOLFMOTHER is clearly the complete rock and roll package. In fact when rock royalty, Led Zeppelin, was inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame, who did they invite to perform as their guests? WOLFMOTHER! Thats about the highest praise possible! With all that in mind, imagine how pleased I was to hear that the band was coming to town, just for my birthday. Yup, for my birthday. I figure something like this happened. They saw this tweet that I made back in March:
Wait, @wolfmother made another album? Today finally got awesome!
— Tom Nicholas (@FakeDrTom) March 25, 2014
Which you might notice they "favorited" and then I assume they immediately made plans to come thank me in person by making my birthday a ROCK special.Yes, I am sure it was just like that. Anyway, they did not disappoint.

They played 75% of their bombastic first album along with a few from their other albums. Not to mention that they brought Black Pistol Fire with them to open and nearly set themselves up for failure by having such an awesome band take the stage before them, but don't worry, they rose to the challenge and came through. Great show and it made for a very memorable birthday. Nice to have special guests show up. Thanks WOLFMOTHER!
No comments:
Post a Comment