Thursday, January 31, 2008

¿Disculpas por "La Mano de Dios"?

I am not sure what to make of this. Apparently after 22 years Diego Maradona has apologized (in English) for one of his most infamous goals, "La Mano de Dios". This goal was scored in the 1986 World Cup semifinals between Argentina (VAMOS) and England (BOO). Here it is:



Definitely looks like a handball. In interviews following the game and since Diego has said that the goal was scored by "la mano de Dios" which means "the hand of God". In the same game Maradona went on to score what has been called the greatest goal of all time (well at least the greatest World Cup goal of all time) and Argentina won 2-1. They continued into the finals and won the 1986 World Cup. Obviously England had bitter feelings about it and has never gotten over it. In Argentina Maradona further cemented his brilliance, fame, and legend. So now he goes and apologizes for it. It was probably the right thing to do, but after so many years of celebrating this I am not sure what to make of it. I guess he summed it up ok saying:

"
Si pudiera pedir perdón y regresar en el tiempo y cambiar la historia, lo haría. Pero el gol sigue siendo un gol, Argentina se convirtió en campeón mundial y yo fui el mejor jugador del mundo. Todo lo que puedo hacer es seguir para adelante."

For those you that no habla castellano that means (more or less):


“If I could apologise and go back and change history I would do. But the goal is still a goal, Argentina became world champions and I was the best player in the world. All I can do now is move on.”


So maybe now we can move on...if the British give back Las Islas Malvinas (they call them the Falklands).


¡VAMOS ARGENTINA!

No comments: