Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Book Review "A Tale of Two Cities"

I had never read this or really anything by Charles Dickens, but he has lots of classics so I am certainly a little behind. "This outta be a good reading experience", I thought. And now having read it...I don't really know. It has those iconic beginnings and endings, but this was sort of like reading a book in high school. You didn't really choose to, but you had to. You didn't really understand it too well, but hey you just had to finish reading it for class. Maybe I am not too bright, or maybe I am too much of a brute, or maybe I simply didn't know enough about the French Revolution (were they commies or something because all the revolutionaries in the book seemed like communists to me), or maybe I just read this on the bus when I should have been reading it in a quiet area where I could think about it clearly, but I really had virtually no idea what happened in this book. It wasn't until the last third of the book that I started to grasp what was going on, but by then it was too late. I didn't really know who any of the characters were let alone care about any of them. So upon finishing it I consulted Wikipedia and learned about everything I just read and, yep, its a fine story, touching even. So there is my stellar review "After consulting Wikipedia and learning just what the heck I read I can say that, yes, this is a fine book". Print that on the cover. I still believe that Dickens is a great writer. I just might not be a great reader. I think I would have been better suited to Dr. Frasier Crane's reading of this to the blokes in Cheers. That version had more apache attack helicopters and butt kicking. In fact I think Sydney Carton's character was replaced with Rambo. Rambo was on the other night and I stayed up to watch it. Man thats a fine film. I didn't even need Wikipedia to help me there.

No comments: