Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Leftover statues

As I have mentioned there are a ton of statues all over Budapest (and I suspect all over Europe in general). I think the States could use a little more of this "statue on every street corner" treatment. Anyway I didn't really fit all the ones I took pictures of into my posts so here are all the miscellaneous statues that I liked.



These remind of the General José de San Martín statues that are all over Latin America (it is almost a requirement that every Argentine village have a plaza and statue in his honor) except that neither of these dudes are quite up to muster to ride with the General.



Thought this was a pirate, maybe one of the ones that would attack the Fisherman's Bastion, and got excited. I guess it was really a soldier of some sort. Too bad.





I think that this is actually a memorial of some sort. I hope for not what it depicts.



St. George and the Dragon?



Really cool hand there. Not too sure who that is or why they are in the middle of a major street with loads of outdoor dining options surrounding it.





That has got to be one of my favorites in the whole city. I'd be happy to have it in my backyard even if that guy is like 9 feet tall.




This last one is a little wild. Almost like an optical illusion.

Seriously why does Europe get cool statues like these on every street corner, but here in America we get stuff like this or this? I guess thats a point for Europe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but claes oldenburg is so full of whimsy!

Jerkolas said...

You know whats incredible? I had no idea that both my examples of silly sculptures were by the same guy. What he does might be whimsical, but not in the free spirit/positive way. More like the "WHAT?" kind of way.