Last night Argentina played for Olympic gold against Nigeria. They were a bit sluggish having come off a win against rivals Brazil, but in the second half, off a beautiful pass from Messi, Di Maria pooched one right over the goalie's head for the game's one and only goal making Argentina back to back Olympic gold champions (the first time a country has repeated in gold since 1964 and 1968 when Hungary did it).

To celebrate I made empanadas for the first time. I had helped people make empanadas before (and that was at least 6 years ago), but never on my own. I decided to go totally from scratch and I made the dough and everything. It proved to be rather difficult and messy.

The finished product turned out all right.

The fried ones are on the left and the baked ones on the right. The filling was just like I remember or at least close enough, but my dough could use some more help. It was a bit too flaky and dry. Still it was a good start and gold medal victory is a great accompaniment to even the poorest made meal.
¡Bien hecho Argentina y felicitaciones por el oro!
3 comments:
Wow, first time since Hungary. And we all now how the 64 and 68 Olympics launched 50 years of Hungarian soccer dominance.
I love me them empanadas. There’s a Salvadorian place around the corner that April and I constantly rely on for our empanada needs. I was in Brazil during a Brazil-Argentina match it was total anarchy.
Olympic soccer: cool.
Olympic soccer forcing teams to cover the country logos on their jerseys: lame.
Post a Comment