Sunday, March 15, 2009

Book Review "Slaughterhouse Five"

Heard about this one for a long time and always meant to give it a read. I finally did. Unlike some of my other recently read books, this one was well suited to being read on the bus in short little bursts. It is quite unique, but like all the others I am sure I missed the poignant meanings of the book, but get this, the main character is "unstitched" from time meaning he finds himself jumping between different stages and events from his life, essentially reliving his life continually. How cool could that be? Probably not too cool since I don't think he gets to pick when and where to jump to. He seems to end up back in the war a lot (not so great) and also with some aliens that abduct him (actually was sort of ok for him). If he had control over it that would be pretty great. Not sure what in my future I would jump to, but I have a lot from my past that I would revisit. I think I would spend most of my time back in Argentina or back to just about any of the many winter, spring, or summer breaks I had, back when they actually meant something. Looking back on it now, first year of Grad school was pretty sweet or the fall of 2006. Everything was clicking just right then. Whenever I needed a pick me up, I would totally go back to any significant Utah win. Good thing there's lots to choose from because I might need quite a few. Feeling hungry? Back to Fat Matt's Rib Shack in Atlanta or any of the wonderful asados I had in Argentina. I wonder if you could change events in your life? That would introduce a whole new set of possibilities. Since you don't really get to choose when or where you revisit I bet I would probably end up back at my computer at work most of the time. Rats. Good book though.

No comments: