I've never read these. Before seeing this I was told that there was little action in it, not that Harry Potter movies are action packed blockbusters, but they do thrive on special effects magic. I think what people meant to tell me was that there was no action in it. Well, there was action it, just not that kind of action. The summer blockbuster kind. This may be the first time that a big time summer movie has actually opted to remove the climatic, battle intense scene from the ending of its movie. Odd choice there Hollywood. Yet somehow I think this may have been my favorite Harry Potter movie. Yep, I am pretty surprised too. I mean they still use those silly wands and my favorite character is still dead, but I think its my favorite. I could go on and on that its because they finally started to break away from the predetermined formula that all of these follow. Or because the 3 kids seemed less bothersome and hence more likable to me all of the sudden. Or that the teachers didn't seem like a bunch of know-it-alls hiding the truth from everyone when that would resolve everything pretty easily. None of thats really it though. Nope I gotta say that the real reason is Ginny Weasley. If I was an adolescent boy in wizarding school I'd be looking her way for sure. That Hermione Granger has been hogging the spotlight from day one with all her kissing up and uptightness. All the while Ginny has been in the background, soft spoken and calm, never calling too much attention to herself. Well she finally stepped into the spotlight and landed herself a man, the chosen one no less! Ain't nothing wrong with a girl who knows what she wants and goes for it (even if it means tearing into a field lit on fire). Thanks to Ginny I think I actually cared about Harry Potter. Thats probably important for a movie called Harry Potter.Random updates, thoughts, ideas, and complaints (with pictures). Way better than Facebook stalking!
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Movie Review "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince"
I've never read these. Before seeing this I was told that there was little action in it, not that Harry Potter movies are action packed blockbusters, but they do thrive on special effects magic. I think what people meant to tell me was that there was no action in it. Well, there was action it, just not that kind of action. The summer blockbuster kind. This may be the first time that a big time summer movie has actually opted to remove the climatic, battle intense scene from the ending of its movie. Odd choice there Hollywood. Yet somehow I think this may have been my favorite Harry Potter movie. Yep, I am pretty surprised too. I mean they still use those silly wands and my favorite character is still dead, but I think its my favorite. I could go on and on that its because they finally started to break away from the predetermined formula that all of these follow. Or because the 3 kids seemed less bothersome and hence more likable to me all of the sudden. Or that the teachers didn't seem like a bunch of know-it-alls hiding the truth from everyone when that would resolve everything pretty easily. None of thats really it though. Nope I gotta say that the real reason is Ginny Weasley. If I was an adolescent boy in wizarding school I'd be looking her way for sure. That Hermione Granger has been hogging the spotlight from day one with all her kissing up and uptightness. All the while Ginny has been in the background, soft spoken and calm, never calling too much attention to herself. Well she finally stepped into the spotlight and landed herself a man, the chosen one no less! Ain't nothing wrong with a girl who knows what she wants and goes for it (even if it means tearing into a field lit on fire). Thanks to Ginny I think I actually cared about Harry Potter. Thats probably important for a movie called Harry Potter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
"the teachers didn't seem like a bunch of know-it-alls hiding the truth from everyone when that would resolve everything pretty easily."
That just about sums up what law school is like. We call it hide the ball. I guess Hogwarts and law school are basically the same thing. Both have a lot of silly words that have a Latin ring to them like: "res ipsa loquitor," which is basically a magic incantation that mysteriously shifts the burden of proof in a torts case.
Wait - who is dead? I heard that Snape kills Dubledore and is somehow still thought of as a good guy. That's ridiculous. Is that who you meant? I can't think who would be your favorite character. I saw the first two movies and the 4th one, and I don't know who my favorite is. Maybe the Russian kids in the 4th one. Or the dragon in that one. Not the ghost.
Great review. I liked it cause it was the first Harry Potter that didn't end with "and you know why you won Harry? Love. Love and friendship. Those are two most powerful pieces of magic. The dark lord doesn't have those."
SCREW THAT! I'd rather be able to blow stuff up. If love is the ultimate magic, how come people keep dying? I think the real reason is Harry's got some butt kicking magic in him he needs to release. Now we're seeing the real stuff. Harry smooching the hot chick and busting a magical cap.
Drew that is part of the predetermined formula that I was referring to. I am glad to see that once again we are on the same page. I am tired of Harry being invincible because people like him. How 'bout you start doing something too Potter? Ginny finally has him doing stuff, know what I mean?
And Jefe you have made my comments section spoilerific which about 4 or 5 years ago would have been a big deal. Enough to infuriate young girls every where.
Post a Comment