Long ago my brother coined the term WikiHero to describe someone who corrects inaccuracies, misunderstandings, or otherwise sheds light on information found on Wikipedia. He himself became a WikiHero by adding some key insights to the entry regarding byu football athletics (can you believe that no one had mentioned that to win their national championship they beat a 6-5 Michigan team?). And now I too have become a WikiHero. You see I noticed a certain error in the first sentence on the Wikipage for BBQ. It used to read:
"Barbecue or barbeque is a method and apparatus for cooking food, often meat or vegetables..."
What? That sounds sort of right. I corrected it to:
"Barbecue or barbeque is a method and apparatus for cooking meat..."
It's a subtle difference, but believe me a big one. The key is that this change has lasted for a few weeks now; a true test of a WikiHero's efforts. I just feel good knowing that I have contributed to the general body of knowledge that is out there. This is way more satisfying than publishing any of those science papers and it took way less work. You too can be a WikiHero, but remember that with great power comes great responsibility.
5 comments:
I'm glad you brought that to my attention because I might just have to be heroic myself and change it back to the original. You can indeed barbeque vegetables. I mean, veggie shishkabobs are totally delicious and grilled on a barbeque. Am I right?
Good job man!
One time April and I had a dispute over whether the number 0 is odd even or neither. We decided to settle the score by consulting Wikipedia, which clearly validated my position. So April changed it.
Oh, Katie, while yes anyone could put a vegetable on a grill and cook it, that is actually just a vegetable cooked on a grill, not barbeque.
I feel like you shouldn't have told me this. I didn't know it was so easy to change wikitext (I knew someone could change it... just didn't know ANYONE could). I think this now makes me sleep less soundly at night. Wikiheros are out there changing Wikipedia... where I go to for all my medical diagnosis knowledge.
I wonder if there's a wikiWAR being waged right now. You know, someone changes wikitext. Someone else changes it back. Every morning they check to see if their opponent has attacked again.
I think you wikiheros make this world a LESS safe place.
ps: I read a few of your posts to my sister. She laughed. She thinks you're funny. I think she even reads you now. Hope that's okay.
Cali (Ray says hi and "Down with the Utes")
Tom is correct. "Grilled veggies" are different than bbq. Bbq could mean open flame or non flame (smoker). Nice work tom, kudos to you, you master of meat.
Post a Comment