Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Birthday camping

This year's birthday was spent largely in a car on my way to the Olympic Peninsula to do some camping. I have been out to there a number of times, but oddly never while I have lived in Seattle. This was one of the only things on my list of things to do before I left Seattle and it just happened to be on my birthday. I assembled the following crew.



Being my birthday, we stopped in Olympia and grabbed some BBQ. My birthday and various cooked meats go hand in hand. Not too bad. It came with some great peach cobbler!



Thanks to some brilliant traffic we arrived rather late and thanks to some expected weather we had to try and set up everything in the rain.





This was Michayla's first time out camping and a very fine introduction too. Turns out the tent didn't make it and was wet the minute we set foot in it. Then after we put our sleeping bags down, the tent proceeded to drip onto them so an executive decision was made and the cars were prepped for sleeping.



The next day was still wet, but we managed to explore and headed up to Cape Flattery, the most northwestern point in the United States of America. Pretty good looking views.






We returned to camp and actually prepped it for further rainfall, of which there was very little from that point on. Still building shelter satisfies an inner need of even an older man like myself.



We camped out near the Kalaloch lodge where it turns out I camped once before, about 18 years ago. The beaches are rather nice and we found some cool trees growing near the camp.




That night we had some tinfoil dinners and tinfoil cakes cooked in orange and banana peels. This is rather ingenious and far tastier than it might seem given the photograph. It was probably one of the most unique birthday cakes I have ever had. This tinfoil style of cooking really should be employed more often.



The next day we returned to Seattle, I, a little bit older and wiser, but all of us wet and reeking of campfire smoke. All in all, the requirements for a good camping trip were met. Thanks for everyone for coming, helping, celebrating with me.

1 comment:

Ryser Family said...

True Seattlites - don't let the rain stop you from anything.