Saturday, June 25, 2011

Movie Review "Thor"

There are lots of different mythologies out there. Depending on who you ask, every culture and religion pretty much has it's own mythology. Of all of them I think it is fair to say that Greek mythology comes to mind first whenever we think of mythology. It is basically required reading in high school and college. My Greek heritage says that is perfectly acceptable. One place where Greek mythology takes a backseat to other mythologies is in Marvel comics. Marvel has Greek myth heroes, but its their Norse ones that have center stage (sorry Hercules). This is pretty good since otherwise I would know virtually nothing about Norse mythology. Sure all my Norse mythology is skewed by whatever Marvel has done, but its something right? I mean before Thor I could look at a name like "Mjolnir" and not only have no idea how to say it, but also have no clue whatsoever as to what it is. Thanks to Thor I know that it is pronounced "Mee-yoll-ner", meaning "crusher" and that it is Thor's favorite hammer. I also know that not just anyone goes around picking up this hammer. The hammer bears this inscription:

Whosoever holds this hammer,
if he be worthy,
shall possess the power of Thor.

Thanks to this movie (and Stephanie really) guess who's been found worthy?



I gotta tell ya, its pretty sweet! No wonder Thor carries this around with him all the time. And as soon as Thor retrieved this puppy he totally scored a beautiful scientist girlfriend that looks a lot like Natalie Portman. Now that I have my own Mjolnir I think I am ready for that part to happen to me. Yep, this Norse mythology stuff is all right.

No comments: