Throughout all X-Men comics and movies is the central theme of accepting those that are different. While I find it hard to believe that a group of predominantly attractive people with useful and impressive powers would be looked down upon by society, this is nevertheless an important and inspiring message that no doubt has contributed to the success of the franchise. This theme helps make the X-Men thought provoking and educational. This new movie is no exception as I found myself learning something new. You see, one of the film's central characters is Charles Xavier and he has just completed his PhD in genetics. Certainly he uses this to better understand mutants and such, but how do we first see him using this knowledge? To hit on cute girls with "groovy mutations". Best part is he is not talking about super rare mutations like the kind that give you superpowers, but normal everyday things like hair and eye color. Red hair? Thats a groovy mutation baby! Green eyes? Smashing mutation girl! Surprisingly he is apparently rather successful with this approach. As a single dude who just completed a PhD in genetics in real life this really stood out to me. Usually chatting up a bunch of science mumbo jumbo to cute girls gets you very little, but Professor X has really inspired me here. I'm gonna be that guy and this has given me new motivation to be a better geneticist since right now I probably know more about the fictional mutations of the X-Men than real mutations. Of course, Charles is also super rich and has super mind control powers that maybe contribute to his overall success, but I'm sure I won't be needing those.Random updates, thoughts, ideas, and complaints (with pictures). Way better than Facebook stalking!
Monday, July 4, 2011
Movie Review "X-Men: First Class"
Throughout all X-Men comics and movies is the central theme of accepting those that are different. While I find it hard to believe that a group of predominantly attractive people with useful and impressive powers would be looked down upon by society, this is nevertheless an important and inspiring message that no doubt has contributed to the success of the franchise. This theme helps make the X-Men thought provoking and educational. This new movie is no exception as I found myself learning something new. You see, one of the film's central characters is Charles Xavier and he has just completed his PhD in genetics. Certainly he uses this to better understand mutants and such, but how do we first see him using this knowledge? To hit on cute girls with "groovy mutations". Best part is he is not talking about super rare mutations like the kind that give you superpowers, but normal everyday things like hair and eye color. Red hair? Thats a groovy mutation baby! Green eyes? Smashing mutation girl! Surprisingly he is apparently rather successful with this approach. As a single dude who just completed a PhD in genetics in real life this really stood out to me. Usually chatting up a bunch of science mumbo jumbo to cute girls gets you very little, but Professor X has really inspired me here. I'm gonna be that guy and this has given me new motivation to be a better geneticist since right now I probably know more about the fictional mutations of the X-Men than real mutations. Of course, Charles is also super rich and has super mind control powers that maybe contribute to his overall success, but I'm sure I won't be needing those.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment