Monday, October 8, 2007

U of U Nobel

The Nobel Prizes are being handed out and a trio of scientists including the University of Utah's Mario Capecchi have been awarded the prize for their work in gene targeting which allows researchers to target specific genes and inactivate them, creating a "knock out" gene. This allows mouse models of specific diseases or phenotypes to be created and studied. While I was at the U of U we all knew that Mario would eventually get the Nobel (didn't think he would be sharing it). It was just a question of when. He is the first Nobel prize winner in my old department. Congrats to the U of U, but mostly congrats to Mario!

7 comments:

Jefe said...

That makes the Nobel tally:

Utah - 1
BYU-Provo - 0

As a mathematician, I can say that we are infinitely better than Provo at winning Nobel prizes.

Jerkolas said...

Oh man. I may have to give out the comment of the week early this week. I understand if no one else sends in comments since my brother has all ready jumped out to a huge, huge lead.

robin marie said...

i actually heard that on npr this morning and thought of you!

Drew said...

Is there a nobel prize awarded for most 18 years married? That's about the only Nobel Prize coming provo's way. I can't wait until those on the Nobel Prize Committee recognize the efforts and achievements of those professors in Marriage Prep 101.

jeremiah said...

Nobel prizes are somewhat secular. People at BYU are more spiritual and I think it is unfair to criticize them for it. If you really want to see where BYU strength lies, how about you look at the alma matter of members of the First Presidency?

Utah - 3
BYU - 0

Ouch.

EmilyG said...

I am happy to report that U of U's status from winning a Nobel has effectively been diminished by Al Gore also winning one. A prize that Al Gore can win is a prize not worth winning. BYU will gladly pass on a prize of such caliber.

Jerkolas said...

Then they will gladly pass on the prize money and recognition as well. Lets not be too harsh to rag on Gore. Without him, the inventor of the internet, so many of byu-provo's most prominent clubs and programs never would have gotten off the ground. The cougar's NCMO program needed the internet and I bet that "fight club" of their's also benefited from emails and internet.