This week #7 byu (who has beaten opponents with the combined record of 5-14, 3-12 if you only include I-A teams) plays in state "rival" Utah State. No matter who wins the real question will remain; who has the better creamery? The best part about this article is learning what the top selling flavors at each University are. I think it can say a lot about the student body. At USU? Aggie Blue Mint; a blue mint ice cream with oreo and white chocolate. At byu? Lavell Vanilla. Plain, normal, vanilla. Seems pretty fitting. Even byu's creamery director, Dean Wright, notices the humor here:"I don't know if it's because our students are vanilla and plain, but they like their ice cream that way."
He tries to assure us that most students top their vanilla with fruit or candies. I hear they even have sprinkles from most colors of the rainbow now. I dunno. No matter how you top it, vanilla is still just vanilla. While I have obvious biases, growing up in Utah (and not living in either Provo or Logan) I thought it was pretty unanimously decided that USU had the better creamery. I have been to both and while neither is as good as an Argentine heladería (or probably really all that different from what you buy in the store) I have always preferred the Aggies ice cream ever since my Grandpa took me there as a boy. The nostalgia is probably key here in deciding which is actually better.
6 comments:
As hard as it is for me to say something positive about BYU, their ice cream is pretty good, as are all of their dairy products. I got hooked on the chocolate milk in the MTC. But I think I have to agree with you that the Aggie stuff is superior (I think the slightly higher altitude and close proximity to so many dairy farmers gives them the edge). I must also confess that I am partial to just plain vanilla but only as long as I can pour lots of caramel on it.
Aggie store wins. The secret? Location, location, location.
Maybe everyone orders the "Lavell Vanilla" because they are loyal to their past football coaches ... unlike another school I know ...
Hmmm. How many flavors do they have named after Crowton? Yep, pretty loyal.
I think that you, as a scientist, should be the first to acknowledge that your "study" is seriously flawed. What happened to large and random sample groups, blind testing, and unbiased analysis? You relied on memories and the names of the flavors, hardly a scientific standard. For real science, I would go here:
http://ohpepper.blogspot.com/2007/11/apples-to-apples.html
The article actually points out that they had 40 test tasters (really just individuals at the Tribune) and while it never reports on one being better than the other a majority of their tasters did prefer USU's chocolate ice cream at least.
Post a Comment