Thursday, January 31, 2008

Upcoming Superbowl

If you are like me you are a little frustrated with this year's Superbowl. In your eyes the Pats have become the biggest villain in the NFL (and yet they still have mostly likable players, they are just finally acting a little smug so give them credit, most teams would have succumbed to smugness after just a couple rings). On the other side of the field you have the Giants. A mostly nameless team lead by the unlikable Eli Manning. Not only is he a Manning he is the same Manning that cried because he might have to play professional football in San Diego (he doesn't even have any funny commercials like his brother to make him somewhat likable). Throw in the fact that the Patriots are heavy favorites to complete their perfect season and other then seeing whether or not they do there is little interest for me in the game this year (unless of course an improbable upset occurs, everyone loves upsets). So despite not really caring much about the game I am still excited for the Superbowl (if only my church was let out earlier and we weren't having an activity immediately following it). Here are a few reasons why:

1) The Superbowl is a cultural experience, almost like a holiday. I like holidays.

2) I missed the Superbowl last year. I don't want to point my finger at any one reason or person, but it was my girlfriend's fault (although she did record it for me which was nice).

3) The possible chance for an exciting game. Could be close, or could be an all out upset by the Giants.

4) With another win the Patriots finish an undefeated season and win yet another championship. Its history in the making. Whether it is cool and exciting history in the making may be a different story.

5) Tom Petty at halftime. Thanks to Janet Jackson we now have slightly less controversial and in my opinion better halftime shows. I mean since then we have had Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Prince and now Tom Petty. This is good news for this classic rock fan.

6) If all else fails there are always the commercials.

So far I am thinking that #6 might be the most compelling (although #1,2, and 3 are all good reasons) and on that note I share with you some of my favorite Superbowl commercials (that I can remember so sorry just about anything before 1995).

1993

This is probably the first one I can remember and thats why it makes the list.



1998



1999



2000



2006

These ones were all from 2006, but I think that the one with Quiet Riot's "Cum on Feel the Noize" (originally a Slade song apparently) was the only one to be shown during the Superbowl itself and it is probably the best one.



2007

My favorite from last year. Once again featuring buttrock. It's an easy way for me to like just about anything a little bit more.



And my all time favorite. This launched a whole series of web videos that I suggest you look up. Its from 2003.



I hope you all enjoy the Superbowl for whatever reason you may be watching it.

4 comments:

Jefe said...

Pats 49
Giants 14

Anonymous said...

two comments: first Jefe stellar prediction....and second I agree that the music has been better, HOWEVER, I thought it was kinda stupid that when the superbowl was in Detroit, the heart of Motown, they had a darn Brit do the half-time show. Wouldn't it have been better if Aretha Franklin or some great motown icon had done the half time show instead of Paul "yeah I named my band Wings" McCarthy?

Anonymous said...

also, this was a local portland ad that ran a few years ago during the superbowl, perhaps my favorite.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P1ioeeTvyKM

Jerkolas said...

Ah yes, the trunk monkey. That fine piece of work made its way out of Portland. Good one!