Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Grad School Blues

So there seems to be a real bad case of graduate student blues going around my department. It appears to strike those of us who have recently completed our general exams (I did in June). It is a terrible funk to be in and its source is somewhat mysterious. Its hard to come into work with the guns a blazing. The solution is also hard to find so I guess we'll all just put our heads down and power through. I had it real bad yesterday, but I am definitely on the mends. During this time I have been thinking of other jobs that would probably be really fun (if all you had were the obvious pros of the job). Here are some of my favorite ones (this may be subject to updates):

-Astronaut (I could be Major Tom in my very own Space Oddity except without the getting lost in space part)

-Fighter Pilot (see the Blue Angels post or just watch Top Gun or listen to Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone")

-Rock and Roller (I'd have the coolest song about how rough it is to be on the road all the time surrounded by adoring fans)

-Athlete (right now I am thinking soccer player if I grow my hair back out or baseball player if I continue to grow my gut out, I wouldn't be there for my agility or speed, I would be there for the long ball, chicks dig the long ball)

-Elvis Impersonator (kind of stole this one from my brother, but it'd be great)

-Jedi Master (only if it comes with a lightsaber)

-Ambassador to Argentina (or really anything that would take me to Argentina)

-Food Network Chef (my gimmick would be BBQ and other uses for meat and lots of it)

-Athletic Director for the U of U (or really anything involving the U of U)

-James Bond (or Batman)

-One of those cool zoo guys that take their animals to Letterman or Leno or Conan (kind of like Jack Hanna or Steve Irwin)

-Owner of a pinball machine (my favorites are Medieval Madness, Tommy and the old Star Wars one)

-Not a doctor or a lawyer (sorry to all the doctors and lawyers within reach of this blog)

Thats it for now, but I may update it later. Feel free to offer suggestions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in favor of an ESPN analyst. Get to go to all the great games for your sport, hang with cheerleaders and sideline reporters (hot chicas) and most of all you get to bag on other teams (Tell me you wouldn't love to say this Tom, "I think BYU is gonig to lose. They have a long history of sucking and not being very good. I think the players at BYU are average at best, but better described as terrible. Midget University would pound these pansies."

Anonymous said...

You can't be batman, I'm going to be batman. Stick with James Bond.

Anonymous said...

I'd also like to be heir to a fortune. Then I would train for lots of really cool things (triathlons, mount everest, etc.) but not really do them and also sit on the board of companies I buy with my parent's money and say things like, "You're an idiot! SELL SELL SELL!" Who knows why I would yell that.

Anonymous said...

two comments...One: Owner of pinball machine is not a job....Owner of pinball arcade is!
Two: Being an ESPN anchor ain't what is use to be (do you really want to find out who is more "Right now"?)

Max

Jerkolas said...

Yes I could handle who is "Right Now"; it's Alex Smith. There's no one else in the NFL that I would rather hang out with. Justin Verlander is also very "Now" and I bet we could be good buddies. Even if the whole "Now" thing isn't appreciated I could always use my position to rag on the cougars. Thats one of my greatest passions. I could also star in a great Sportscenter commercial. That would be cool.

Drew said...

Just to be clear, I was talking pure analyst position. Sure the Who's now thing was dumb. But who doesn't want to be on the college gameday crew and chill at those games and bag on how lame BYU is? I sure would!

One other. Radio host for ESPN would be good. Being outrageous is your job. BYU bashing is your calling card.