One year ago today, after much thought and preparation, I entered the blogging world and created Jerkolas. Its hard to believe that its all ready been a year. Basically I started it all to post pictures and updates for my friends and families to see, but I'd like to think it has become so much more than that. While I don't think it has found a real theme or niche, it is clearly evolving and I have a whopping 8 subscribed readers on Google Reader . So I thought we might take a walk down memory lane as I post my favorite moments from the last year. Feel free to clink the links for a reminder of what a great journey its been so far.
Favorite Poll
Well I only had 2 polls so this is a close one, but I give it to my beard poll. It took me a long time to put together and it documents well over 2 years worth of fantastic facial hair on my face. Throw in some great quotes and some healthy participation from you, the voters, and its a pretty solid poll. Here is the results summary. Don't feel bad nickname poll. You were a solid poll and for some reason your results summary is one of my most visited pages (I think its the Cobra picture).
Favorite Comment
I used to have a comment of the week post to try and encourage commenting, but really this only generated comments from about 1 person on a regular basis so I let it go (though my brother gave him a good run for his money). However these blog comments saved a friendship when I received anonymously the following:
"I love you Tom! I am madly in love with you. Your hot beard and amazingly sexy skinny legs make me shake with joy as I look at your blog pictures."
After some time I learned that this was from none other than Jarv with whom I had limited and sporadic correspondence at best. Now we chat everyday and are even linked to each other's blogs. Even his wife leaves comments. Its a blogspot miracle! One day one of us will be sharing this story in a church testimony meeting or lesson or something.
Favorite Review
I have gotten into the habit of reviewing the movies I go to see and the books I read, something that is not too uncommon in the blogging world. I have never wanted to take it very seriously, but I think I get a little carried away with them at times. My favorite was probably also my first. It was my Late Summer Review from last year. Everything was kept short and simple, plus it generated a lot of chatter. Not many other reviews of mine have stayed as concise as I would like, but my recent Tale of Two Cities review is hopefully a return to more brief reviews (unless it involves the Hulk or something important like that).Favorite Rant, Opinion, or whatever was on my mind
Just as I had hoped I had plenty of opportunities to share some choice opinions. This award was a no brainer. After a long day at work I decided to unwind by posting a little bit of a conversation that Jarvis and I were having about a recent list about the deadliest dinosaurs with which we disagreed. This was the result. This is as good a stream of consciousness that I have ever had. Close seconds for the James Bond rant and jab at archaeologists take on Indiana Jones. If I had the time and talent I think all my posts would be a little more like these. Coincidentally these are some of my most visited pages, but from what I can tell it is all because of the pictures.Thats enough for now. Its been a pretty wild ride. 153 posts long. If I was financially secure I would totally add blogger to my list of dream jobs. Haha, see how I snuck one more in there? Hopefully some of these were your favorites. If not feel free to let me know which ones were so I can continue to hone my craft. I look forward to another year. I am pretty confident that I could even increase the Google Reader subscribers number all the way to at least 12 or so during this upcoming year. Thanks for all the support.
3 comments:
I looked through the beard poll. Wish I could have participated in that one! It was a close race for sure. And 153 posts in a year? That's a post less than every 3 days. That's a lot of work, good job maintaining. Sometimes I do wonder how much work you get done at your job! =)
Not very much. Actually I rarely post from work. So the question is which beard would you have voted for?
very nice...
Post a Comment